Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Hell Week Tip #2: Have a well stocked kitchen...

Planning your meals at the beginning of the week is great, and probably makes grocery shopping much more efficient, but lets face it... Not only do I not have the time to map everything out, but I dont always have the foresight on Sunday to figure out what I am going to eat on Thursday. So what I like to do is have a bunch of basics in my kitchen that can be thrown together at a moments notice for a quick dinner for one or can provide the foundation for a gourmet meal for 4. Either way here are a few things I always have on hand...

Lettuce
- Usually a couple different types. Salad can be a whole meal, or a tasty side dish. I like to combine mixed green lettuces, spinach and crisp romaine hearts.

Avocado
- I cant really think of anything that avocado wouldn't make exponentially better. Sandwiches, eggs, salads, pizza, burgers... and the list goes on. Not to mention avocados have been known to reduce bad cholesterol, are full of vitamins and fiber, and are high in omega-3 fatty acids (which are good for your heart, your brain, your hair and nails). I cant really think of any reason not to have avocados on hand at all times.




GOOD Olive Oil and Olive Oil for Cooking
I could do an entire post on the difference between standard olive oil and the good stuff.. and i just might, but not now. So in an effort to save time, let me just say that a really good bottle of olive oil makes a world of difference in some dishes. Generally speaking you use the "good stuff" for things that aren't being cooked (salad dressings, for dipping bread in to, drizzling over tomatoes or cheese etc). You don't use this olive oil to oil a pan or marinate anything with ( its usually more expensive), which is what you have the other stuff for.


Green Veggies:
When I was younger my grandma made it a rule that my dinner plate always had to include "something green"  - which sounds really unappetizing now that I think about it , but its a good rule to follow. So I always keep broccoli, asparagus, and/ or green beans in my fridge so there is no excuse for a plate that lacks the color green.


Garlic
- Don't need an explanation for this one...

Stocks/Broths
- Whether its chicken stock, veggie stock, or beef stock,  you'd be surprised how often these can come in handy when there is not enough sauce, or something is too thick, or you just want to add extra flavor to something. Cooking rice or noodles in a stock instead of water is a quick tip for adding extra flavor.

Balsamic Vinegar
Canned Tomatoes
Green Onions
Yellow Onions


White and Red Wine
- For cooking and drinking...


...more soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment